Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I often think of my friends and family back home in Canada. I think of my parents - my mom, bathing old women at work and then finding some fabulous bargains on the way home. My dad, standing at a machine all day "making money". I think about Colin, jamming with Asher, or maybe watching some Voyager with his friends. I think of Shawna, feeding kids and changing diapers. She once told me that's all she does in a day, but I know that's not all she does. I think of Rachel, going through her new kindergarten cirriculem with Astrid. And I think of my friends busy with their school work, always reading something for some class, or cramming to finish some paper or other. And I think about all the good times they must be having. These are my family, my friends. And when I think of them, a little knot tightens in my chest, and I wonder if I should be laughing or crying. And I wonder how I can still be me here, when so much of my identity, of who I am, is so wrapped up in everyone and everything I left behind. And I think about how everything there continues on the same without me. And how strange it will be when, in July, I return and must fit myself back into the place I left.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Dear Jill,

May this year be a time for you to discover yourself - who you are when all that's made up your life so far is way across the ocean. You are more than just the sum of the people you know, although they have certainly helped to shape you. But at the very core of your soul, it is just you and I pray that you will find that part of yourself this year and become comfortable with it, confident in it, embracing it fully.

I love you.

Rachel

11/29/2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home