Thursday, April 20, 2006

The other morning when I was waiting for the bus (it seems I'm always waiting for some bus or other. Those are the best people-watching moments though, so I don't mind), along with me at the stop was an elderly couple. The woman was wearing leopard-print slippers and had a lacey white scarf tied around her head. It's not an unusual thing here for people (especially babushki) to wear slippers eveywhere. Makes me wonder what the point is of having slippers at all - why not just wear shoes? The man wore a little hat as well as a slightly startled and confused sort of expression. This couple was arguing loudly while we all waited for the bus. All Russian is loud and everyone appears to be yelling at each other all the time. It can be intimidating when you don't understand any of what is being said, and people are just yelling. But after a while, you get used to it, and can even tell the difference between people that actually are angry, and people who are simply conversing. Maybe these two particular people were not very angry, but the woman was definatly upset about something. I caught snatches of what was being said, and it was something about a television. They ended up on the same bus as me, sitting directly behind me, and the conversation continued all the way to the market, much to my annoyance. Usually the bus ride in the morning is fairly calm and quiet, evryone still sleepy I think. Although it's easy to not listen to a conversation you can't fully understand, it's still difficult to block out the noise, and it was intruding on my early morning quiet.

1 Comments:

Blogger sqsus said...

Hi Jill,
I like watching people, too. I don't get too many opportunities to do it anymore because I have 3 little kids to keep my eyes on. I think it's great even when you can't understand what people are saying, because then you can try to figure out what they're talking about. Is this being nosey?
Shawna

4/20/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home