Tuesday, September 28, 2010

On my way home from Kingston on Sunday, I stopped at a service center at the bottom of the 400. I needed to get gas, to pee and to grab something to eat. I also got a coffee (and was reminded that Tim Horton's coffee is kinda sucky) to help keep me awake, as I was pretty tired from the crazy dance party the night before that was Shannon and Andrew's wedding. As I was heading back onto the highway, I passed two guys trying to hitch a ride. They looked young and fun, sitting there with their packs, and they stuck their thumbs north as I drove by. I was tempted to stop and ask where they were headed, to offer them a ride as far as Sudbury, but the smarter part of myself convinced me that it's probably unwise, as a young woman driving alone, to pick up hitchhikers. I don't usually get the urge to pick up hitchhikers, but for some reason I did this time. It would have made my drive more interesting, and it would have been fun to make a couple new friends. And how dangerous is it really to pick up hitchhikers anyway? They didn't appear creepy or sinister. Though I suppose it's probably better to be safe than sorry, even if it's more boring.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I've done it a couple times, but never when I've been by myself. I feel like you can get a reasonable idea of someone's creep level by how they look (I know, I know...). When Melodie and a friend of hers and I went to Toronto, we took a hitch hiker the whole way. He was a guy from France hitch hiking across the whole of Canada. Very interesting. Other times, Jase and I just gave rides north of Kingston to young kids trying to get home after coming into town. Now that our car is full of kids, it's not really possible anymore.

I once accepted a ride from a guy in a pick-up truck. Jason was thoroughly upset with me. But it was raining, I was no where near a phone and my car was broken down. My gut response to the guy was that he was OK. He was only a few years older than me and seemed cool.

10/20/2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crazy guys. How sane does the Russell Williams or Paul Bernardo appear?

10/26/2010  
Blogger jordin said...

Neither Russell williams nor Paul Bernardo looked sane. EVER!

12/05/2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home