Monday, January 03, 2011

I love the way the afternoon light pours in the window of my new bedroom, reflecting off the mirror and glowing on my clothes hanging in the closet, all soft and orange. Rachel says it's the best room in the house for light. It makes me so glad I'm no longer in a basement. I'd much rather be three floors up, able to sit on the floor in front of the window and look out over the surrounding yards and houses, the sky and trees. Much better than being at grass level and looking out at the wall of the neighbour's garage. I like the angles in the ceiling. I've always been partial to sloped ceilings. Rach and I are planning on painting the room, and I'm excited about this, but can't decide if we should go shades of green or rusty red orange. Too bad it'll only be home for four months.

I wish I had red hair sometimes. The pretty curly kind.

I'm feeling lots about tomorrow. Anxious, excited, terrified, impatient. I feel like it's something really big. Like so much is hanging on this experience, and whether or not I can pull it off. My entire future. Yikes.

On new year's we were talking about if we are private people, and Rachel recalled Colin telling her about our sleepovers. I'd forgotten about those sleepovers. We'd spread sleeping bags on the floor in the family room in front of the wood stove, my brother and me. We'd watch the flames consuming the wood, and we'd share secrets in whispers. Or rather, he'd share secrets. He'd ask me about things in my life, and I'd have nothing to say, so I would just listen to him. I suppose I am a private person. I don't readily share secrets, and I guess I never have.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jill, I hope your first day "on the job" went well. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I just talked to mom on the phone and she was telling me you were heading to bed early last night because there was a possibility of a birth. Hope everything went well.
I, too am a person who doesn't share secrets very readily. It takes that right person to draw them out.
I didn't know you and Colin had sleepovers in the family room. Rachel and I did them in her room. It's funny how we lived separate lives for awhile.

1/05/2011  
Blogger Olvie:) said...

I guess it beats living in the basement of our house. But today, as Beth and I roamed around the house and lived our normal lives, we saw parts of you missing. How when we open our pantry door, a section was empty. When we opened the cupboards, your jars of sugar and other neat things missing. Your collection of teas taken from the shelf above the sink...leaving mine a little lonely. Our medicine cabinet in the bathroom...your toothbrush and tumbler gone. And the list goes on.
But it makes me happy how soft, golden, and warm hues seem to flood your new room. How you get to see your sister everyday now (and nieces/nephews). And I didn't know you don't readily share secrets. Because I felt that you were very warm and open with us. but maybe not with your secrets.
I hope you catch lots of babies safely! And don't worry. A few years from now, this one day, won't seem like your entire future.
Just keep trusting Him Jill with your entire future:)

1/05/2011  
Blogger Rachel said...

I wish this room was home for you for longer than four months, too. I've said to Jase on more than one occasion that I wish you could move in permanently. He keeps reminding me that you have your own life to live!

I like that you are private and guard your secrets and yet you are still easy to converse with and, as Olvie said, are very warm and open. I guess Colin and I got the secret-sharing genes. There isn't much of anything about me that someone doesn't know. Probably when Shawna and I had sleep-overs in my room in the basement, I did all (or most of) the talking.

1/06/2011  
Blogger Jill said...

Yup, I had my first birth on Tuesday night, Shawna, and everything went beautifully. It's been a pretty heavy week with some really crappy stuff happening at the practice, but nothing that I've been directly involved with.

And yes, Colin and I had sleepovers. We'd often sneak into each other's rooms before we went to sleep and talk in the dark sharing secrets, too. We'd also communicate through the wall with knocking.

Don't get me wrong, Olvie, I loved living at Alder. I just wasn't so fond of my basement bedroom. I miss you guys. And also, it wasn't so much the first day I was anxious about, as the entire placement. All the placements, actually.

Unfortunately Rach, I probably can't move in permanently...

1/06/2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jill, In case your mom doesn't know, Pastor Craig has set up a blog for us while in Bolivia. It is livingwaterfellowshipchurch.blogspot.com so you can check up what we've been up to!
Aunt Sherri

1/14/2011  
Blogger Jill said...

Thanks, Aunt Sherri! I'll have to check it out.

1/14/2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home