Friday, February 01, 2013

Countryside in winter:

Flannel-backed hand-stitched quilts
peeling floral wallpaper
Howling wind
Soap in the birth pool (not such a good idea)
Brand new parents laughing and crying at the same time
Grandmothers' birth stories
Blinding snow, cutting across my headlights
Hypnotizing swirling fog
Following the lone tire tracks down a country road in the middle of the night, unable to read the snow-caked fire numbers, but somehow still finding the right house
Baby floating across the pool, a midwife almost joining him
No diving
Waiting for the restaurant to open
Greasy post-birth breakfast
Going for breakfast is my favourite
Making it to the gas station just after the gas light comes on

I've had some perfectly lovely births over the last month. Sigh. Life is good. Even when the roads and weather are not.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I'm so glad you've had these good, healing births after the heart break you experienced at the start of the year.

Your life sounds so incredibly magical and beautiful. I'm glad you take the time to capture it in words.

2/02/2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were you the midwife who almost dove into the pool, Jill? Haha. I love this. Such good descriptive words. Can't wait to reconvene again, Jillian. You are very special to me.

2/10/2013  
Blogger Jill said...

Olvie, I was not the midwife. I'm looking forward to seeing you again too. When might that be?

2/12/2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home