Sunday, October 15, 2006

Waking up somewhere in New Brunswick, the colours of autumn were glorious. If I let my eyes shift out of focus, the trees became blurs of mixed colours, sliding swiftly by: blurs in horizontal lines, whizzing past, close to the train. If I look past and through the blurred lines, the other trees can be seen clearly, moving more slowly: the further away, the more slowly they move. The colours impossibly bright, the whiteness of bark flashing through, the sun shining down. The whistle seemed to be a part of the walls themselves, the sound coming from somewhere deep within. The bush seemed to go on endlessly, we had been cutting through it all day since the earliest bit of light in the morning. But every once in a while we would come upon a little town, the bush suddenly replaced by white houses, seemingly growing up out of the middle of the large green lawns, the walls bare from the roof down to the foundation. Making our way towards Halifax.

"autumn leaves
beauty's got a hold of me
autumn leaves
pretty as can be...
and those water coloured memories
soft as a summer's breeze
you're as pretty as can be..."
-Beth Gibbons



6 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

So what's the story behind the crazy tea party ladies? Don't think I saw any pictures of them among the ones you showed me at mom and dad's last weekend.

10/15/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You probably didn't see these ones. There were a few pictures that someone else took which I have on my computer.
About the tea party... there is a town in Southern Nova Scotia called Mahone Bay, and in this town there are all kinds of scarecrows set up. EVERYWHERE. I'm not sure what it's about, if they always have them out, or just at this time of year, but most of them are pretty funny.

10/15/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Making your way toward Halifax?! ARe you on that road trip you wanted to go on with your best friend? I want to send you a paper letter soon.
-Nikaela

ps. Do you have a job yet?

pss. It is raining today and the leaves have all blown fast furious from the trees in only four days. There were wind warnings and road closures due to flying glass and debree and everyone stayed indoors with mary poppins imagines in thier minds. Fear of flight. tee hee. Now it just looks sort of blurry and van gogh like.

psss. I really really like that picture.

10/16/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha, oh Jill, I wrote a bit about that train ride too, here you can read it...
One ruby amond jewels seems to float, displaying its unique radience... I can see it only long enough to remember the image, and then my train has moved another thousand red, orange, yellow and pale green trees past my eyes. This morning, as I travel above the tops of trees, through countless small towns (and right now over a great river in Miramichi, New Brunswick), I wonder how many trees we have passed.
I wonder if all of New Brunswick sits on red clay. Every river flows through a bed of this exposed clay. It's coloured like rust, and the moisture that cannot seep into the ground shines strangely in the sunlight. The water has carved veins and muscles into the wide banks and it looks almost like the back of a dinosaur.

riki.

10/18/2006  
Blogger sqsus said...

I do like that tea party picture! I think I should set up some scarecrows in my yard.

10/18/2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You probably should set up scarecrows Shawna. They should be fishing in a toilet (did I show you that picture?). Or mooning the road (did I tell you about that one?).

And Riki, funny how we were both impressed to write about the same thing. Your description of the red clay banks - it was exactly like that. You write so beautifully, and I would be happy if you kept a blog for me (and everone else too of couse) to read.

10/18/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home