Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I was just reading the blogs kept by some friends I got to know while I was in Ukraine, other people working there with MCC. And I learned about the recent increase in gas prices over there. I hear that gas will cost 147 percent more this winter than it did last winter. And I wonder how people will cope with this. Just before I returned home, transportation costs increased quite a lot as well. People are struggling enough to make ends meet without all these price increases. I'm not as concerned about the internat, because I know they still heat with coal (though I'm sure this will still affect them as well). But I wonder about the Semerikov's, the family I lived with. I think about how they just had gas put in last summer, and about how they were so happy with their first winter's use of it. I remember Larisa telling me how it's so much better having gas. How before, the room containing the coal stove was always so hot, while the other rooms further away from it were usually quite cold. How with gas, the temperature of the house can be regulated and all the rooms are the same. I wonder about how much this price increase will affect them, if they'll be able to afford to heat their house. And I think about the unusually cold winter southern Ukraine saw last winter, and I hope it will not be the same this year.

1 Comments:

Blogger sqsus said...

Normally, hearing news about a gas price increase in another part of the world doesn't have a big impact on our little world, here in Ontario. But, when you know and care about people who are affected by it, it affects you too. It's hard to hear about things when there is nothing you can do about it. My friend Kelly recently said it sounds like just an easy answer to say to pray about it, but, she said, prayer can really do so much.

10/23/2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home